The arrival of Jesus into the world brings a variety responses, from joy, to indifference to hostility. Why does the Christmas event illicit these responses? What is your response? Pastor Ryan walks through these reactions in Matthew 2:1-18 where we are challenged to “Trust the Good King with Your Throne”.
- Reflect over this past week and share any results from following Christ. Share both highlights and challenges you faced.
Read Matthew 2:1-18
- What do you notice about the arrival of the Magi? Why was their news so troubling?
- Why do you think the religious leaders respond with indifference to the news of the newborn king? Why do you think people are indifferent today? How can indifference be broken in someone’s life?
- How could Herod possibly rationalize the command to kill children? What are modern day examples of this kind of thinking? How do people get to this place?
- Pastor Ryan listed several ways in which we seek to defend the throne of our lives by raising objections to God; deconstructing Christian beliefs, philosophical objections, social/cultural objections, and individual success. How have you encountered these? Have you used any of them? Why? How has that changed over time?
- Why do you think Magi responded with joy and generosity? Why should we yield the throne of our lives to Jesus the King? What holds us back? How can we overcome this?
- What action step is God calling you to take based on this passage? Share your plan for action.